Tuesday, October 30, 2007
The Heritage Foundation, in its analysis of the Rangel tax bill, notes that "In the current Congress, the Rangel proposal has no chance of enactment, neither in its current form nor in any recognizable variant. Its importance is as a policy statement of the chief Democratic tax policy writer in the House of Representatives, expressed in black and white. As such, it offers a useful glimpse of where tax policy is likely to go in the next Congress if the chairman is allowed to work his will with a more sympathetic resident occupying the White House."
It is important to remember that the biggest tax hike in history was enacted by President Bill Clinton - the year before the Republicans swept congress in the historic 1994 election. The Republican House, led by Newt Gingrich, kept Bill and Hillary from enacting their extreme social policies and high taxes. This allows Bill Clinton and his party to point to his presidency as an example of conservative Democratic leadership in areas such as taxes, spending, deficits and fiscal restraint. It may have been, but it had nothing to do with Democrats. For an idea of what a democratic President (Hillary Clinton), a democratic house (Nancy Pelosi) and a democratic Senate (Harry Reid) would do...look no further than the first two years of Bill Clinton's presidency. Then try to remember, why the Republicans won the House (after 46 years) in the first opportunity to do so.
Some will argue that higher taxes hurt government revenue (Laffer Curve) and some will argue that it makes no difference whether individuals or governments spend the money - the multiplier is in effect either way. I personally believe the former, but I also believe that it is not the Governments money. It belongs to the corporations and individuals who earned it legally.
The top 10% of earners pay over 90% of the taxes today. We should thank them often and keep our hands out of their pockets as much as we can.
Once we believe it is the publics money or the governments money - or that the government has an obligation to redistribute wealth, we have crossed line to socialism and beyond. Clinton, Obama and Edwards are all running on the tired old platform that the wealthy do not deserve their money and it is up to them to redistribute.
In the words of George Will, "when did it become 'COMPASSIONATE' to take money from one group and give it to another."
Submitted by D.B. Jackson
Thursday, October 25, 2007
Give the democrats credit...they used to run as phony tax cutters (like Clinton and Gore) and just jack up taxes once they get in. This time, they are being clear: the party of big government and big spending is the Democratic party. Thank you Charlie Rangel for that clarity.
A Tax Plan as Trial Run for ’09 Law
WASHINGTON, Oct. 24 — The House’s leading Democratic tax writer will propose a sweeping overhaul of the tax code on Thursday that would increase taxes on many people with incomes above $200,000 but cut them for most others.
The bill, to be introduced by Representative Charles B. Rangel of New York, chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, would also overhaul corporate taxes by eliminating many major tax breaks and lowering overall tax rates.
Mr. Rangel has acknowledged that he does not expect to enact such a bill this year, and President Bush would almost certainly veto legislation that raises taxes on the wealthy.If you feel left out...not making 200,000 per year, not to worry...we all will be impacted when economic growth slows and business are forced to lay off workers. When tax revenues fall short because earnings and wages are down...they'll come back for round 2.
Anyone interested in 'Don't Blame Me I Voted Republican' bumper stickers?
Submitted by D.B. Jackson
Thursday, October 18, 2007
Tuesday, October 16, 2007
"Some think the way to beat the Democrats in November is to be more like them. I could not disagree more," the one-time Tennessee senator says in remarks he is to deliver to the Conservative Party of .
"I believe that conservatives beat liberals only when we challenge their outdated positions, not embrace them. This is not a time for philosophical flexibility, it is a time to stand up for what we believe in," Thompson adds.Thompson needs to convince conservatives that he can buck Hollywood. Can he face the fire with an Alito appointee, or does he want to read good things about himself in the N.Y.Times and stake out a twilight gig on NBC or CBS?
Two data points of concern: His vote against removing Bill Clinton from office after the House impeachment AND his vote against defining marriage as one man and one woman. Both big Hollywood issues.
What say you, Fred?
We need a conservative in this race. Right now, you are our best hope.
Submitted by D.B. Jackson
Monday, October 15, 2007
Democrats: Pro-Environment, Save the Animals, Industry is Evil, Business Kills Bambi
Republicans: Anti-Environment, Kill All Animals, Industry is Pure, Business At All Costs
Now, let's try to be fair. Neither portrayal is accurate if you're trying to represent the "typical" voter for each party. Is it possible that there are fringe extremists in both parties that could be portrayed thusly? Of course. But we don't cater to extremism - we tailor our coverage to the mainstream America. So, in an effort to represent the "typical" voter (always a goal in this blog), let's touch upon some of the environmental issues in the news today.
1. Last week, Al Gore won a Nobel Peace Prize for bringing more attention to Global Warming.
Comment: In two years, we'll hear about how Al invented Global Warming. Thank the heavens that Al took up this cause and finally (FINALLY!) shed some light on a novel concept that no one had ever heard of. Never mind the years of international meetings, scientific papers, newspaper articles , and television reports - after all, the Kyoto Protocol only came out in 1997!!
And let's totally discount the scientific community that believes that we may merely be entering a natural warming phase caused by (gasp!) the earth. But we can discount these so-called experts - Al has spoken.2. Last week, Obama released a plan to combat global warming that calls for an 80 percent reduction in U.S. carbon emissions by 2050.
Comment: Details to follow in 2049.
1. Friends of the Earth Action has endorsed Senator John Edwards for the 2008 Democratic Presidential Primary.
Comment: No surprise. Edwards led the Democrats' 80% carbon reduction effort, and is rewarded by the liberal environmental advocacy group. No comment yet on whether carbon reduction includes humans (remember, 18% of a human is carbon).
2. Republicans for Environmental Protection has endorsed Senator John McCain for the 2008 Republican Presidential Primary.
Comment: Huh? Republicans want to protect the environment? I must have missed that segment on CNN.
In non-environmental news, "Law & Order" Thompson says that he's the real Conservative. Details to follow in 2009.
-- Submitted by R Wellesley
Friday, October 12, 2007
In New York State, it's not only acceptable to be an illegal alien in NY...you can get yourself an official NY State driver's license! (Is this Governor Spitzer's attempt to undercut the black market fees for illegal licenses? Maybe it's his attempt to pay for all of those new socialist programs he's promoting!) Kudos to the County Clerks who both voted against this policy and proclaimed that they would not follow it. Even more disturbing: there are already ten (10) states that allow "undocumented" (er, "illegal"?) immigrants to obtain a valid state driver's license. Can you name them?
Ann C undercuts Mr. Law & Order. Calm down, Ann. Don't be like a Democrat and use the power of the press to taint the election process. The voters will make the right call here when (or is it "if"?) The Tennessean comes through with details on his policies. Give him a chance to tell the public what he represents in 2007 before you rip him to shreds.
Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize and an Oscar in 2007, based on a theory that man is causing global warming. This just in folks... the Earth has gone through many cycles of warming and cooling without humankind's influence. Is it possible that the human species is contributing to global warming? Yes, it's possible, based on what some scientists are saying. Is it also possible that we're seeing another "natural cycle" of warming? Again, yes, based on what some other scientists are saying. What I say is...let's not hit the panic button just yet. Let's be aware, let's make some adjustments to the way we live...but let's not tell everyone that the end is near unless we all adopt solar and wind power today. Anyone remember the Global Cooling scare from the 70s?
The Ten States are... Hawaii, Illinois, Michigan, Montana, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wisconsin.
Billionaire Paul Allen has funded a telescope that has been specifically designed to "sweep the skies" to find alien life. Paul, we could have saved you millions - all you have to do is look at this year's list of Nobel Peace Prize winners. If you find any others, make sure you send them to New York or any of the other ten states to obtain their driver's license!
-- Submitted by R. Wellesley
Wednesday, October 10, 2007
She calls herself progressive. She, clearly favors government solutions to private industry and favors government mandates to personal responsibility. Some of her more high profile socialist...er, progressive..ideas:
1. Give every child born $5000. They can use this for college. How to fund? Raise Taxes. A savvy politician, she said that she would fund by raising cigarette taxes. Once it is clear that this will not be enough, she will rely on allowing the Bush tax cuts to lapse and then eventually, an upper and middle class tax hike. Bottom line, taking money from one income class and giving it, free and clear, to another class is an time-tested socialist idea.
Socialist Rating (1-10): 9 (Redistribution of Wealth, Creating addiction to an additional government check that will become another political 'third rail' for generations to come)
2. Give every citizen $1000 for their 401K. Would she keep this in the Social Security Trust Fund? The Trust fund that has had a negative balance for forty years - as the social security taxes have been used for general funds expenditures. Or does she plan on keeping this $1000 (and interest growth) into a private account (hmm, didn't President Bush want to allow people to do this with their own social security tax money?). How to fund? See above.
Socialist Rating (1-10): 8 (Redistribution of Wealth, Creating addiction to an additional government check that will become another political 'third rail' for generations to come)
3. Government Health Care. Create a government health care bureaucracy, mandate insurance and provider requirements. While there may be millions of Americans uninsured, the American health care system is the best in the world. The thought of government doing to health care what it did to Medicare (expenses are three times projections from twenty years ago) is frightening. There are no plans to control cost or 'John Edwards' styled phony lawsuits that will drive doctors out of the business. Her plans to control - limit access, drive down doctors pay (fewer people will enter medicine) and drive down pharma revenue (translate reduce their ROI on investments). All of these will have the reverse affect of her intention and damage health care quality and accessibility and will make it dramatically more expensive.
Socialist Rating (1-10): 10 (Nationalizing a private enterprise and 1/5 of the U.S. Economy, Adding a government bureaucracy between patients and providers)
4. Garnish profits from the oil companies. In one of her more dramatic grandstanding performances - and probably an accidental glimpse into her true beliefs - Hillary proposed taking the oil company profits and using them to fund research on alternative energy sources. No politician, including Bernie Sanders, has ever so transparently stated the they would steal profits from a private company. These companies paid taxes at the proper US Tax schedule, used their profits for their own research and exploration and, perhaps, will pass some of the profits to the people, retirement funds, mutual funds that own the company. What right would the government have to take additional monies beyond the current rate of taxes?
Socialist Rating (1-10): 10 (Speaks for itself. And why will she stop at Oil Companies)
5. Control Media Content. Despite the complete dominance of American liberalism in every media and the largest institutions in the United States, Hillary is leading the charge for 'fairness' in AM Talk radio. If Hillary and her team has their way, private radio stations, funded today through advertisers and listeners, will be forced to include content mandated by the federal government. Although the hypocrisy of this situation is shocking, given the vast control the left wing has on the media, the biggest concern here is with the first amendment. Where is the ACLU? When someone immerses a crucifix in urine, they are the first guys on the scene. When the government wants to control content of private radio stations, dead silence.
Socialist Rating (1-10): 10 (Trampling on the Bill of the Rights)
It is not a question of whether Hillary is a socialist. Francois Mitterand would find no problem with any of these policies. In fact, he may be concerned about the impacts these socialist policies might have on the economy, the government deficit, the current account balance and the strength of the currency.
It is no secret that the only major economy that is growing and adding jobs year after year is the U.S. economy. The socialist experiments in France, Sweden and Germany have been disasters in terms of job growth, GDP and quality of life. Hillary will surely put the U.S. on par with these disasters in a fraction of the time.
It is not a question of whether she is a socialist. By any measure, she is. The question is...does anyone care?
Submitted by D.B. Jackson
Monday, October 8, 2007
Good column from a Marine Hero.
A 'real' soldier and what he saw and how he feels.
Someone call CBS !!!
The 5 Things I Saw That Make Me Support The War
1. Mass Graves
"Saddam’s henchmen would tie two people together, some with babies in their arms, stand them at the crater’s edge, and then shoot one of the people in the head, relying on the weight of the dead body to drag them both into the hole."
2. Tongue-less Man
"Through the translator we learned that the tongue-less man had spoken against the regime and that Saddam’s henchmen had severed his tongue."
3. Adrenaline-fueled Fedayeen Saddaam
"That’s when we realized that our zombie-like attackers were zealots who came to fight and die."
4. Human experiment Pictures
"We discovered them inside a strange laboratory we found inside a Special Republican Guard barracks that had been plunked down inside an amusement park."
5. Bomb Making Materials in a Mosque
"As we made our way through the mosque compound, we were told there were certain "praying houses" we weren’t allowed to enter. But when a Marine walked through a side hallway and passed by a door that had been left ajar, he spotted a huge bottle of nitroglycerin and assorted bomb-making materials."
Submitted by D.B. Jackson
Tuesday, October 2, 2007
Clarence Thomas is on the circuit, promoting his new book, "My Grandfather's Son"
His Grandfather beat into him, "Old Man Can't Died, I Helped Bury Him!"
Looks like a good one.
"I grew up fearing the lynch mobs of the Klan and I realized that I was fearing the wrong people all along."
Submitted by D.B. Jackson